Date roll is undoubtedly the creamiest version of the traditional date caramel pudding. It is a simple and easy recipe that gives you a fancy cake roll perfect for impressing the crowd!
Date Roll with Mascarpone Cream is a delicious, fluffy and moist cake filled with swirls of creamy mascarpone filling. The roll slices are topped with silky caramel sauce making it an utterly delicious dish. This recipe is super easy to make and, therefore, is a perfect choice for every occasion. You can serve it with tea, or coffee or as a dessert. Either way, this date roll will win many hearts.
Why use the date for this cake roll?
You might have heard about pumpkin rolls or banana rolls, but have you ever heard of date rolls? If not, then you have to try this recipe! You might be wondering why to use dates for this cake roll. Well, there are many reasons we prefer using dates. Here are a few:
- Firstly, dates taste just amazing. They have a sweet and caramel-like flavour which is to die for.
- They are an excellent source of natural sugar. So, this natural sweetness of dates allows you to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Dates not just add flavour but give the dough a texture. Their sticky texture acts as a binding agent as well.
- Dates are loaded with nutrients. So, you get all the goodness of these dates in this cake roll.
Components of this cake roll
This cake is made from three main components. These are:
- Cake: The delicious cake base is made from simple ingredients like flour, eggs, brown sugar and dates. It has a rich and sweet flavour and is soft and moist.
- Filling: The creamy and rich filling is a combination of mascarpone cheese and cream. It is delicious and has a subtle flavour that balances the sweetness of the cake perfectly well.
- Caramel sauce: The caramel sauce is rich, sweet and makes this cake roll visually very tempting. This sauce is super easy to make. Sprinkle chopped dates and nuts and serve.
How to fold this roll cake?
Folding the cake is an art, really. You have to make the perfect log of rolled cake without cracking or breaking it. As much as it seems intimidating, it is actually quite easy. Here is how you roll the cake to perfection:
- First of all, dust the cake with icing sugar before taking it out of the baking tray. This way, it won’t stick to the parchment paper. Now, place parchment paper on the cake top, which matches its size. It shouldn’t be bigger or smaller than the baking tray; once you have placed it on the cake, carefully invert the cake. Take off the baking tray and parchment paper.
- Dust the cake with icing sugar again. Align the cake in such a way that it is easy to roll across its height.
- Now gently take hold of the cake along with the parchment paper and start rolling it away from you towards the other end.
- Once you have reached the end, place the seam side downwards and cover it with a kitchen towel to cool down. This way, it won’t unroll itself.
- Once it is cool enough, unroll it carefully, spread the cream and roll it back.
Date Roll with Mascarpone Cream
- 1 cup Flour
- 4 tbps Flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 1. In a large bowl, pour boiling water, pitted dates and baking soda. Let them sit for about 15 minutes.2. Add softened butter and brown sugar and mix well until you get a smooth mixture. 3. Add flour, eggs and chopped dates and mix well until you get a smooth dough. 4. Shift the dough to a parchment-lined rectangular baking tray. 5. Using your hands, expand the batter so that it equally covers the whole baking tray’s surface.6. Place it in a preheated oven at350-degree F for about 15 minutes or until it is fully cooked.7. Meanwhile, the cake is baking; add mascarpone cheese in a large bowl. Add icing sugar, and using an electric whisker, whisk at low speed for a few seconds. Add cream and continue to whisk until everything is well combined and it forms peaks. Place the mixture in the refrigerator.8. Once the cake is cooked through, take it out of the oven, dust a little icing sugar on parchment paper and place it on the cake. Place a tray on top and carefully invert the baking tray. Take off the baking tray, remove the parchment. 9. Starting from the edge, roll the hot cake along with the parchment paper to the end. Hold it for about 30seconds and then it with a kitchen or tea towel. Let it cool down.10. Once the cake reaches room temperature, unroll it so it is flat again and spread the mascarpone cream mixture on it evenly using a spatula. 11. Carefully roll the cake again. Trim the edges using a knife and place the seam side downwards, so the cake doesn't fall apart.12. In a saucepan, add heavy cream, brown sugar and butter. Place it on low heat and let it cook. Continue to stir until the butter melts. 13. Cut the cake into slices, and pour this hot caramel sauce on the cake roll just before serving.